Thursday, September 22, 2011

Anaszi Intrigue by Linda Weaver Clarke

Anasazi Intrigue:  The Adventures of John and Julia Evans is a romantic suspense mystery.

Julia Evans is a reporter who comes across some dead fish after a terrible flood has ripped through her county.  Bagging them up she takes them to family friend, Matthew, who concludes that the fish had died from arsenic poisoning.

Julia must convince her boss that she is the right person to cover this story and not her smug co-worker, Ted.  As Julia works to uncover more leads in order to continue following the story, Julia's husband, John, has uncovered a mystery of his own.

It seems someone is stealing priceless artifacts from ancient Anasazi burial kivas and selling them on the black market to the highest bidder.  John is afraid that if Julia hears about this, he'll have more to worry about then a couple of dead fish.

As the two of the work to uncover the mysteries set before them, they run into dangerous men who wish them to drop the story or suffer the consequences.  Julia is a stubborn women and will stop at nothing to uncover the truth, even at the cost of her own life.

This was an easy read that have a decent flow and narrative.  The plot is a great one and I enjoyed hearing about the history of the Anasazi and the artifacts that were mentioned.  I enjoyed the bad guys and thought they were well written, Devollyn, the main antagonist, was very enjoyable to read and brought depth to the book.

I wish there had been more history pertaining to the Anasazi, I am an ancient history buff and was truly looking forward to learning more as well, I believe, it would have given the plot more clarity.  I believe that if I didn't know what I do about that particular race of people, I might not have known what the author was explaining.  I would've liked to have seen more of the dream that Julia was racked with, it wasn't mentioned often enough to grasp the meaning behind the revelation at the end of the story and the event is left with a flat feeling for me.

I would give this a three out of five stars.  I thought John was a great character and was written in an enjoyable way but for some reason, Julia wasn't endearing to me.  She came across as whiny and spoiled more often than the courageous, go-for-all woman that she was sometimes portrayed as.  Also, there was a couple of places in the beginning chapters that had Julia listed as Julia Roberts and it confused me, I think it was mentioned two or three times and at first, I thought it may have her byline name at the newspaper but it was never mentioned again and I'm still not sure.

All in all, if you like a good mystery with a little bit of history thrown in the mix, then you will be sure to enjoy Anasazi Intrigue.


** Disclosure: I did not accept any compensation from the sponsors other than review copies, my views are my own, reviewed by me..as I see it~!! **

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us some love...and have yourself a groovy day~!! Peaces...xoxo