Friday, August 5, 2011

Homecoming by Malcolm Dylan Petteway

Homecoming is book one in the series Osguards:  Guardians of the Universe, a science-fiction fantasy.

Osguard leaders, Michael Genesis; his brother Shawn and their sister, Patricia form a union of cousins that protect the Earth from the evil Kulusks. 

The Universal Science, Security and Trade Organization of Planets, otherwise known as USSTAP protect over 60 known galaxies from the Kulusks.  When the Kulusks work to make Earth their newest territory, it's up to the Genesis siblings and their families to keep the secrets that have been kept in their possession and to keep the Earth from the fate that is about to be bestowed upon them.

I cannot give this book a good review as it is one of those rare gems that I could not even finish, and oh how I tried.  I THINK I know where the author wanted to take this story but the editing in this book is atrocious.

There are words spelled incorrectly, bad grammar, double negatives, run on sentences and the list goes on.  The clichéd stalwart prose of the dialogue was often off the wall, one moment the character reacting by screaming, then the next sentence they are whispering.  It was like some of the characters had some form of Tourette's.  It didn't make for a good read when you were wondering why they were whispering when there was absolutely no call for such.

The frequent use of explaining blatantly what the character was doing was frustrating, like the author wanted to control my imagination by interjecting his own.  I am the type of reader who doesn't need everything spelled out for them, I like to have a bit left to use my fantasy by blending it with the creative process with the author.  I wasn't able to feel like I was a part of the story.

I couldn't find myself relating to any of the characters for the simple fact that appeared to be kind of schizophrenic in nature.  And while the author does give a detailed description of every military aspect that was submersed quite often into the plot, you could feel the tedium setting in.

All in all though, if this book was edited and rewritten in some areas, it would make for a great series, but as it is, I will not be continuing on with their saga.

SYNOPSIS:
For centuries the planets of Kulusk and Chaktun have battled in the heavens above Earth. In 1860, twin Chaktun princesses, Laurona and Nausona Osguard, fled to Earth and were beaten and raped as slaves in the United States' antebellum south. Unbeknownst to the people of 21st century Earth, their descendants, the Osguards now govern a universal peacekeeping organization called the Universal Science, Security and Trade Association of Planets-USSTAP. The First Osguard, Michael Genesis leads the Osguards in protecting the 60 known galaxies of the universe from Kulusk tyranny. Now Earth has become an unwitting pawn in the Kulusk Empire's thirst for revenge against the people of Chaktun, forcing Michael to prepare USSTAP, for the first time, to go on the offensive and wage an all out universal war. If he is successful, many people will die, and if he is not, Earth will be destroyed.

** Disclosure: I did not accept any compensation from the sponsors other than review copies, my views are my own, reviewed by me..as I see it~!! **

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us some love...and have yourself a groovy day~!! Peaces...xoxo